Thursday 6 December 2007

Heinlein - the free thinker (and speaker)

I have read many books of Heinlein by now, and more than his stories I am impressed by his thoughts, his radical viewpoint on things. But still, time and again, I read something he said, (in a story or otherwise) and he still blows me away with his outspoken, controversial yet logical argument. Case in point -

"I also think there are prices too high to pay to save the United States. Conscription is one of them. Conscription is slavery, and I don't think that any people or nation has a right to save itself at the price of slavery for anyone, no matter what name it is called. We have had the draft for twenty years now; I think this is shameful. If a country can't save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say: Let the damned thing go down the drain!"
- Guest of Honor Speech at the 29th World Science Fiction Convention, Seattle, WA (1961)

No comments: